Thursday, 24 July 2008

Wish you were here...





I couldn’t believe my eyes – Pink Floyd: The Wall on last night on TCM!!! If only I knew sooner, I would have planned my entire evening around it. Acid Trip flashback stuff– the animations – Copulating Flowers devouring each other and the music! I have only ever watched it once before – or rather floated though it, had in it on my skin…surreal stuff.
I fell head over heels in love the first time I watched that movie. It must have been about 13 years ago! He was an artist, a couple of years older than me. He kept to himself, wore small round glasses and was simply gorgeous. He always seemed completely unavailable until that night when we shared our common love for everything psychedelic, esoteric and wonderfully weird.
Unfortunately the romance didn’t last and soon after our relationship came to a bit of a sad end – he found God and became a Pastor. I may just be attracted to extremists!

I found this website Spare Bricks – it is a fantastic site discussing imagery and the concerts of Pink Floyd. Bob Cooney’s article: The Top Ten Floydian Visuals lists the Copulating Flowers as number six on his list and writes the following:

"Maybe not as popular a visual, nor as widely recognized as others, but certainly one of the most striking visuals ever created to accompany a rock song. The picture of the two flowers twirling and entwining captivates us from the start. Culminating in the two flowers actually uniting in a strange sexual embrace, the images shocks viewers right out of their seats. I can remember seeing this visual for the first time in the Nassau Coliseum in 1980 and practically being thrown from my seat by the sight on Mr. Screen, accompanied by one of the most gripping pieces of music in the intro to "What Shall We Do Now?" Certainly one Pink Floyd visual I will never forget. "


GOOD BYE BLUE SKY!

Tonight – thanks to Roxilla I have learnt that Clockwork Orange is on SABC tonight! Joy, joy and bliss. Everything is working nicely for me in the world of television; the provider of ultimate distraction and mind numbing entertainment!
"How I wish, how I wish you were here...
We're just two lost souls
swimming in a fish bowl,
Year after year....
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.

Wish you were here.”

3 comments:

Rox said...

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan too - Wish You Were Here, and Is There Anybody Out There are two of my favourite songs, still get goosebumps from Anybody Out There.

Awesome visuals, sjoe.

DT said...

I know!! - I very much doubt there will ever be another band like them!!

Sunrise said...

Hey DT, holy smoke! I have Pink Floyd rolling in my car ad nausiem, the most haunting lyrics! Now thats music, my friends despice me for it...they have no fucking taste I say! I remember when my cool Uncle showed me the videos when i was a kid, I fricken saw things for the first time, freaked me out and up into slobbering creative outlet.