Tuesday, 08 April 2008

A tiny, little adventure into Paarl




Finally we had our day off yesterday. After much deliberation we decided to go to Paarl and drink wine. Not a terribly unusual thing for us to do, I was in favour of heading to the beach. The sun was shining and warm days are dwindling – but we decided to head to the very reputable Nederburg.


It wasn’t long ago that it was the norm to scoff at a bottle of Nederburg and yet somehow they have managed to establish themselves as a well respected and classy brand. Their newest range Ingenuity is indeed innovative and is exploding with complexity. Eight different white varietals in one bottle. Yummy!


I was however very disappointed in the overall set up. The tasting room was modern and classy – there was just no real wow factor and the Manor house which is I have watched on TV ads ever since I can remember was really just a Manor House. I looked for the impressiveness and just didn't see it. Maybe I have become jaded...
The tasting was really generous, normally you receive a thimbleful of wine, but at Nederburg we received a good few gulps in each glass. Needless to say we were quite joyful in our departure, and very vocal about declaring our undying love for the estate. We ate a rather disappointing lunch in Franschhoek, somehow managed to drive home and didn’t move from the couch for the rest of the evening! It was fun, but I think we are getting too old for this sort of thing. Drinking wine first thing in the morning has side effects that seem to last for days!

This morning was too depressing for words: dark and cold. I am not ready for winter, it needs to stay away for a while. I need to equip myself. I only have one pair of boots, all my socks have holes and my winter wardrobe is in suitcases. Please stay away a while longer, I want to wear my long, outrageous, stripy, summer dress just one more time!!

So it is back to work today, to start some more lists and sharpen my pencils. To find a spot of sun outside and have a cigarette, to attempt to drink my eight glasses of water and stare at Excel for the rest of the day! Pivot tables and calendar reminders. Vending machines and stale sandwiches!


No comments: